Despite the strain in my weekly budget, I manage to buy some pastry ingredients so that I can have my dose of baking therapy on weekends.
While strawberries are not common city produce, and they’re too pricey in the supermarket, I opted to use those goody strawberry jams or marmalade ones. They taste just as good, but you would choose to be careful with adding sugar in your mixture. I also decided to make a better butter-and-cream-cheese frosting – and added a little variation: Oreo bits! I love that the muffin turned out soft and moist; and the frosting was held together well!! Thanks so much to Chef Mars Arbee for reminding me not to microwave the butter when mixing it with cream cheese. It’s supposed to be soft only.. the ingredients need to be a little cold so the frosting won’t fall off upon piping. Got that
Here’s my Strawberry Muffin + Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose-flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 or 2 tbsp cocoa powder (amount depends on your taste)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla syrup
- 1 cup strawberry jam/marmalade
For the frosting:
Make sure you do this first before doing the muffin. Frosting is better to be refrigerated first.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1.5 – 2 cups powdered sugar (check if it is too sweet for you)
- 1 small pack of Oreos crushed
- semi-sweet choco chips for garnish
- Cream butter + cream cheese until texture is smooth and consistent
- Gradually add powdered sugar
- Fold in crushed Oreo and blend well
- Put in piping bag, then refrigerate for 15 mins
- Sprinkle choco-chips
- Whisk eggs, butter, sugar, vanilla.
- Fold in dry ingredients: flour, cornstarch, baking powder/soda, cocoa, cinnamon powder.
- Fold in strawberry jam – make sure it’s fully incorporated and bits of strawberries are smaller and well blended.
- Prepare muffin pans with muffin paper pieces. Scoop mixture – muffin holders should be 3/4 filled.
- Pre-heat to 350c, then bake for 20-25 minutes until top is semi-dry (it will bake off upon cooling).
- Cool as necessary before topping with frosting (otherwise, the frosting will fall).
Last step: Share with family. Everybody happy.